In this article, Edith Harbaugh discusses the potential pitfalls of feature flags and how to avoid those mistakes.
- Feature flags are a valuable technique to deliver better, more reliable software faster
- Feature flags can be used for both release management (dark launches, canary rollouts, betas) as well as long term control (entitlement management, user segmentation personalization)
- Feature flags need to be managed properly with visibility and control to engineering
- If not managed properly, feature flags can be very destructive technical debt
- The true power of feature flags is to allow business users access to code control by separating deployment from visibility